Tuesday, September 2, 2008

...random thoughts.

So I have a new pass-time; Making sense of the conversation between the rednecks at the country store where I eat lunch. Here's how it works. I'll pick out a table across the room and start trying to form what I hear into words. So far I've failed, terribly. Here's what I've got...Billy Bob - "Maa at dang ol' dow by meh propty lie doe wanna budge!" Bubba - "Zat rye? Weh I seen tree cop cars oh round der an slike y'planet annit grow buh maaaannnn you bear water deh thang maaannn!"

...yeah, Seriously.

I worked about three hours late today but didn't mind at all. I was planting seven trees for Don, a retired air force officer. We talked about everything from travel to UFOs. A nice visit. He told me about some amazing places he's lived. Germany and Alaska, among others. He seemed so excited to talk about them and encourage that any young person travel as much as they can while they're young. I asked if he preferred any of them to living here and he seemed to prefer ANY of them to here. All he seemed to have to say was that he had grown up here and then stopped and got quiet for a long time as if he had never thought about why he came back. He had raised his children in different places so it wasn't for family. He moved away at the age of twenty two and came back to almost no one he knew. So why DID he come back? Then I thought about my parents. My father has traveled the world more than anyone I know and my mother is very adventurous. They raised us kids up in the mountains and still returned to where they grew up after many years. Will I have an instinct to 'go home' when I get older? If I do, the Ozarks wouldn't be a half bad place to kick it but it's just an interesting question.

Final thought: ...no. No wait. No final thought. Too tired. Bye.

2 comments:

Stephanie Davidson said...

Interesting thoughts my son! The only reason I came back here is because of my children being here. That is all that is keeping me here as well! I love you so very much! Sometimes my heart aches for us to have a "home" again. I sooo miss the closeness we all used to have. God promises to give back what Satan has taken and we need to start thanking him for and expecting restoration in our lives!

Samuel J. Costner said...

This is good. Thanks Mom!